9/2/10

Pep Rally

Pep Rally.

When I hear those words, my mind goes back to the football field at Stapley Junior High. Hundreds of students crammed tightly together on the uncomfortable bleachers under the hot Arizonan sun watching cheerleaders prance around the field and basking in the ego of the football players. Pep rallies were a trial, but anything was better than sitting in a frigid classroom. So we went. And sometimes we even had fun. I remember one pep rally I went to where they invited a basketball team of 8-10 year olds to show off their stuff. They were SOOO funny! There was this one chubby kid who'd lift his shirt off and rub his fat around. It was hysterical. And when he spoke, his voice was high and pitchy, making him 10 times more funny. Oh the crowd got a kick out of him!

Tonight was my first college pep rally. And in a lot of ways, it was like the ones in junior high. Cheerleaders bouncing to the beat. Football players having a glory fest. But what was cool about this pep rally was that I was on the field with them. Yes, I, Sarah Toller, had a spotlight on me as I stood on the soft grass. It's just one of the many benefits of color guard. And although no one was watching me, it was cool just to be there, looking into a crowd of two thousand. It was cool just to watch the fireworks exploding over my head. It was cool just to be able to perform in front of an audience.

In two days, the Cougars play Washington. Instead of performing in front of two thousand, I will perform for sixty-four thousand. Crazy! But I'm ready; always ready to perform. So bring it on.

No comments:

Post a Comment