7/9/11

Day 2- What are you saying?

French is still super SUPER difficult. It is so intimidating to be around a bunch of people speaking at you in another language that you thought you knew but really you knew about tourist french. And it's tough when most of them know only a tiny bit of English to help bridge the gap. Coralie tells me it is really crazy and scary the first few days but then you start to understand the speech patterns and vocabulary better. I hope that moment comes soon, I miss English.

Not knowing the language makes things sort of awkward. For example, Coralie invited her friend Ysaline (Izz-a-leen) and her boyfriend to lunch to have crepes. They were both really nice, but I felt like a warm body at lunch because I couldn't understand their french. They would occasionally pause to fill me in on the conversation but it really wasn't the same you know? So as you can guess, I really REALLY missed English at that point.

But hopefully it gets better. Hopefully.

No comments:

Post a Comment