7/1/11

Jimmer, Tucanos, and Unicorns

My father served a two year mission for the Church of Jesus Christ eons ago in Sao Paulo, Brazil. So as I have grown up, I have been exposed to many instances of Brazilian culture. One of my favorites is, of course, the food. Over the years, the family has been to some pretty spectacular Brazilian restaurants and made some delicious black beans and rice and fried plantains in our home.


In good old Utah, there are a few Brazilian restaurants, one of them is Tucanos. It is a relatively cheap churrascaria- an all-you-can-eat restaurant specializing in meats. Waiters come to your table with giant sticks of fresh meat like top sirloin or bacon-wrapped turkey and carved you a slice with a giant, menacing knife. It's a pretty cool experience. The nice thing about Tucanos is their Birthday club. A free meal anytime during the month of your birthday. It's pretty sweet. So I took my Brazilian-cuisine-obsessed family to Tucanos today for a meat-ilicious lunch.

The food was pretty good, especially for the price, but the bell-ringer was one of the waiters. I personally love friendly personable waiters and this guy definitely had all of that and then some. First off, he looked like Jimmer. Instant awesomeness. But what raised him to rock star waiter status in my opinion was how he treated Brookie.

Insert note. Brookie, bless her heart, is a seven year old stuck in a sixteen year old's body. She plays Disney Fairies on the internet, carries a stuff animal around, and talks constantly about mystical creatures. Unicorns. End note.

So Jimmer-waiter comes around with grilled pineapple, a Tucanos specialty. Everyone at the table quickly call for a portion, well everyone but Brooke, who tells him she's not interested. He froze, looked her straight in the eye and said "Seriously? I come here with an unicorn all saddled up and ready to go and you tell me no?"

Everyone else stared at him in shock. Did he just seriously compare grilled pineapple to an unicorn? How did he know?

In that moment, we all converted to the Jimmer-waiter fan club. And he never let us down (well except for when he forgot to give Mom and I pulled pork, but that's easily forgivable). He almost convinced me that the whole crew at Tucanos were going to sing Happy Birthday to me, complete with drums and tambourine. Almost.

So at the end of the day, I think I finally found Brooke a man to marry. So Jimmer-waiter, if you miraculously find this and read it, please wait for my sister. You are a match made in heaven. Or middle earth.

1 comment:

  1. This makes me happy. My grandma always talks about Tucanos, Andre was going to take me the last time we were in Utah but it didn't work out. Guess well just have to go again in October :)

    ReplyDelete