7/5/12

One More Round!

I thought I was done. Just like I thought I was finished after freshman year. I was going to be in my major. I was going to be too busy. I just couldn’t do a third year of BYU colorguard.

Oh so I thought. It’s funny how God works in mysterious ways. After freshman year, I was sick of guard—it was hard, time-consuming, and not really beneficial (I believed). Then, the day before auditions, I had a revelation that I needed to do another year. Grudgingly, I obeyed. My second season of colorguard was awesome. Sure, band camp was during a heat wave and we didn’t get to go to the bowl game, but I went to parties, had sleepovers, spontaneously went to Vegas, and tried to get a granola bar into my mouth without using my hands. When the season abruptly cut short due to the fact the colorguard wasn’t going to the bowl game, I was shocked. I was taking the management core in the fall and I knew I couldn’t balance the workload of the core with colorguard. So thus, it was my last season, even though I didn’t want it to be.

But God has an interesting way of changing plans. This summer I’ve had what I like to call my “quarter-life crisis”. I questioned all my plans for my future, my major, my career, where I was going to live. I didn’t know what to do. And as much as I prayed, I wasn’t getting any answers. Which stressed me out (I was a stress ball for most of spring term).  Finally, I found some solace. I applied to the International Language Program to go teach English in the fall. I had a plan. My life had a semblance of order. But I wasn’t convinced about China. I felt that it might be an escape from my decisions about school and where to live in the fall and the dating/marriage atmosphere at BYU(cause I’m pretty tired of it). Even after I had been accepted, I couldn’t make myself say that I was going to China. That same week, there was a colorguard clinic. I went because I love to spin and see my guard sisters. I knew that the people at the clinic would do their best to convince me to rejoin guard. I just didn’t expect how good they would be. Or maybe my subconscious already knew I needed to do guard again because the arguments were so convincing. There were new uniforms, new equipment, dancing in front of the band…how could I not do guard again? So last Saturday, I auditioned to be on the 2012 BYU Colorguard.

So here I am—still a BYU guard girl. And thus this blog has been resurrected to document my third exciting season.

RA RA RARARA RA RA RARARA RA RA RARARA GOOOOOOOOOOO COUGARS!

No comments:

Post a Comment