5/23/13

Why Everyone Needs to Go to Beijing

Yes, the pollution is disgusting. Yes, people are going to rip you off. Yes, children will go to the bathroom anywhere and everywhere.

But despite that, Beijing is a place that everyone needs to visit.

Why?

1. The Sights



The sights of Beijing make the trip totally worth it. The morning of my first day in Beijing, all I wanted to do was rush back to safe, little Hong Kong. I had already been ripped off twice. The hotel/hostel room we had reeked of smoke. The pollution was absolutely terrible.

But once I stepped into the Forbidden City, I was overtaken by the magic that only Beijing can provide. It was a dream come true.

In Beijing, you have access to all of those famous Chinese sights like the Forbidden City, the Temple of Heaven, the Summer Palace, the Bird's Nest, and access to multiple parts of the Great Wall. Places that will leave you in awe with their grandiosity.

2. The Food

Courtesy of Melissa Woodbury


Beijing is the capital of China and therefore, you have access to the many Chinese cuisines. And real chinese food is SOOOO good. I wanted to smack all the tourists who whined about how different real Chinese was from (American/French/Spanish/insert country here) Chinese food. Duh it's different! And better! You just have to know what to get.

Even if you just eat street food (what we did), Beijing has delicious choices that will make your tummy happy. May I recommend buns and dumplings. You can't go wrong with those. But if you want to try more adventurous things, I suggest trying Sichuan food or getting dim sum (yin cha in Mandarin).

3. A look into the Communist regime

In America, we are taught to have a certain opinion about China, especially its government. But I believe it's important to see and experience it for yourself and develop your own opinion.

I had a great time in Beijing and I know I'll be coming back.

No comments:

Post a Comment