12/18/10

Albuquerque Nights

I know I have said this before: Pep rallies are highly overrated.

I mean, I had a good time. But it was pretty sad. No BYU fans showed up so we were performing for a hostile UTEP crowd. And we also lost the mascot competition. Even worse, it was in the 30s and I was in a thin uniform. So I stood there for half an hour freezing and shivering in the cold. It was brutal. But soon it was over and the guard had front row seats to the fireworks from the warmth and comfort of the bus.

When the band got back to the hotel, we had a final fireside. It was really nice. The focus was about the blessings that come through hard work and trial, a subject very relevant to Marching Band. It made me think about all the lessons I have learned during my year of Cougar Marching Band. I learned about sacrifice. I learned about perseverance. I learned about obedience and exactness. Colorguard taught me valuable lessons that will stay with me for life. One of the things Brother Mac said that I really liked was about the expansion of the church. He said, "I honestly believe that either your generation or your children's will see a boom in the spread of the Gospel." It strengthened my own resolve to be better, to share the gospel more often, to become the most qualified person to teach my future children in the ways of righteousness and guide them to greatness. I am going to miss band.

After we finished the fireside, some of the guardlings went to Macaroni Grill. I am going to miss my guard sisters. We had a blast. The line at Macaroni Grill was long and ridiculous, but with some haggling                                                                                            by Rosa (my guard big sister), we got a table for 8 in only half an hour. Not bad. Rosa and I then shared some calamari and some pasta Milano. It was delicious! But what I really loved was all the conversation we had, the laughs we shared, the pictures we colored. It was a fun experience.

At 11:15, all the guardlings (all 17 of us) crammed onto Ashlee's king sized bed. Then we preceded with the guard's last devotional. But before all that spiritual stuff, we laughed and laughed. In fact, we got complaints. Still don't know why, the guard had only been in the room for 5 minutes. Weird. Maybe we got punk'd. Anyway, Ashlee's gift to us was a magnet with a picture of the guard on it. I love it. Definitely going on my fridge at home.

Well, we just arrived at the facility where we are going to practice our show. But I think I gave a basic look at the fun and amazingness of a band trip and a Albuquerque night.

Talk to you later!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment