12/12/10

Freezing Football Frenzy

Winter arrived. And thanks to the BYU Band motto "Practice rain, or snow, or shine", the colorguard is outside practicing in the biting wind and the swirling snowflakes. 

Then game day comes around. I layer up in my apartment: uniform, leggings, warm-ups, sweatshirt, headband, two layers of socks, and, to top it off, a scarf. Then, sheepishly, I leave the warmth of Fugal Hall and make the twenty minute walk to Lavell Edwards Stadium. I arrive at the guard room, my cheeks numb because of the cold, and grab my equipment, then head back outside for practice. Practice isn't quite so bad, I'm moving around which keeps me warm. But finally, the time comes for me to take off my protective bubble and perform Pre-game. I take off my warm-ups. Still feeling okay. But then I peel off my sweatshirt and headband. An icy gust of air hits me right on. My eyes go wide. My hairs on my arms stick straight up.  Luckily, every other guard member is feeling the same thing. Thus, we bundled together, right there in the middle of the stadium. Some interesting band members came over and joined our bundle and we huddled together until it was time to go. The guard-girls walked down the portal onto the field, trying not to show how darn cold we are. We stand on the side-line shivering. Then the whistles blow and everything melts away. It's showtime. The cold is shoved to the back of my mind as more important things enter my mind, such as choreography. Finally, the pre-game show is over and I'm running off the field to the guard room. I quickly throw-on my warm clothes again. Ahh. Warmth. Then, I walk over to the stands, prepared to start the process all over again for half-time. 


No comments:

Post a Comment