12/18/10

The Finale

It's over. All that is left of my time with BYU colorguard is a long, uncomfortable bus ride to Provo. Then my holiday begins.

The game was really great. We killed the UTEP Miners 52-24. Although I had a blast, the game itself wasn't too spectacular. It was clear from the start that BYU would win the game. So there was no suspense, very unlike the BYU vs U of U game.

After having a quick run-through this morning, the Cougar Marching Band marched over to the tailgate party by the entrance of the stadium. As the guard marched by, we got a couple snide remarks from UTEP fans, but nothing that would really bother us. When we arrived at the tailgate party, the band was blessed with a Mexican breakfast. Oh my word. That was the best breakfast I have had in a long time. I had pork with red chile sauce, bacon, potatoes, and refried beans all wrapped up in a soft, decadent tortilla. It was heaven. And it made me miss Mexico. So to all my pals, if you want to go to Mexico in April, let me know.

Which the guard had finished our plates, we performed for the devoted Cougar fans, then gathered our things and headed for the stadium. Pre-game went well, besides the fact that we reversed the direction we face during the game. It totally threw me off, I had no clue where I was supposed to stand. But once the show started, I got my bearings pretty fast. During the second part of the pre-game, I made it onto the jumbo-tron-- doing a toss. AGH! But I caught it, thank goodness!

Half-time went just as well. I didn't make any major mistakes, but I wasn't filled with the fire I felt at the BYU vs U of U game. But that's okay. Performing before that much energy is a rare occurrence.

After grooving in the stands, spilling cups of water, and performing on the field one last time, the game was over.

So here I am. On a dark bus, on my way back to Provo. Not exactly sure what I want to do. I mean, I had decided earlier in the season that this would be my final year of colorguard. But now that this season is over. I realize, once again, how amazing colorguard is and how beneficial it is to me. I learn so much from band. I make so many wonderful friends. And in moments like the U of U game, guard makes me feel alive. So for some crazy reason, I am considering a second season. But I won't be hasty to make any serious decision for now. I will let time give its two cents.

No comments:

Post a Comment