3/11/13

The Trip Less Travelled By

According to Trip Advisor, here are the top things to do in Taipei, Taiwan.
  1. Taipei 101
  2. National Palace Museum
  3. Beitou Hot Springs
  4. Night Markets
  5. Chiang Kai-Shek Memorial
Let's see how Conne and mine's trip compared.

1. Taipei 101
We saw it. We said, "Wow, that's a tall building." But we just couldn't spend the 15 USD to go to the top. So instead, we went and compared the prices of diamonds at De Beers and Tiffany's--by wearing their diamonds!! 

2. National Palace Museum
Nope. Not even a little bit of interest in going there.

3. Beitou Hot Springs
Hot Springs or Karaoke until 5 in the morning? Guess what we chose.

4. Night Markets
We went to the biggest one, just long enough to try stinky tofu.

5. Chiang Kai-Shek
We SO went to that one!! Mostly because it was down the street from our hostel.

So what did we do during our 3 days in Taiwan?

1. Cat Cafe
Drink coffee (or hot chocolate in my case) and pet kitties? At the same time? That is the most old person/hipster thing ever! We spent an hour and a half chasing and taking pictures of felines and trying green tea and rosemary cookies. And then went back for round two later.







2. Getting Our Hair Done
I'm a pretty lazy person when it comes to my hair. I always dreamed that someday I would be rich enough to have a hair stylist do my hair 3 times a week and therefore, I would always have great hair. Little did I know that that was a reality in Taiwan. For 7 USD, I got my hair washed and styled at a nice salon. And in Mainland, I can get all that for 2 USD. Staying in Asia forever? I think yes.




3. Modern Toilet
Cause who doesn't want to eat out of a toilet? I remember watching about this restaurant on the Travel Channel's Bizarre Restaurants or something. I never thought I would actually go. But I did and for 3.30 USD I got a mountain of shaved ice that looked like pee. I also sat on a toilet next to a shower head. But ironically, the bathroom itself sported no toilet, but a squatter, the only squatter I saw in Taiwan. ????







4. Biking
The best way to see a city is to ride a bike. So we rented a few bikes and rode down the river, riding past stray dogs and families. Then we stopped at a little park and found the coolest playground equipment ever. And listened to some Chinese karaoke from the shack by the playground. Oh and we saw a rat! 







5. Karaoke
You haven't done karaoke until you've done it Asian style--private rooms with ensuite bathroom, big TV, and buffet food. We did two nights in a row, because it is just that awesome. Provo doesn't know what it is missing.



No comments:

Post a Comment