4/10/13

The Bollywood Dancing Poseur

I love Indian culture. I love the clothes, I love the food, and I LOVE the movies.

But I also love Indian dance.

It all started when I took an Indian folk dance class last Spring at BYU. I spent my mornings learning Bharatanatyam, Bhangra, and Bollywood. It is one of the best classes I've taken in my college career.

So when I heard that there was a Bollywood dance workshop at HKUST, I registered without hesitation and just couldn't wait for it to start.

When I showed up to class, the lady taking attendance told me there was a performance for this class on the 27th of March and if I could do the performance.

A performance? I didn't sign up for this. But I still really wanted to take the class and there were like 20 other kids in the class so I wouldn't be that noticeable at the performance (cause although I love Indian dance, how I think I dance and how I actually dance are two different things- especially due to my whiteness). So I said yes and didn't think much more about it.

Two weeks later, I got an email from the same lady telling me about extra practices for the performance. Ugh! Why is this such a time commitment? I thought. But I really enjoyed the class and I wasn't going to quit because of some dumb extra practices. So I wrote back saying that I could make it.

And then it was time for the first extra practice. And only four other girls showed up. I quickly learned that in reality, the performance was optional, but I was now too deep to get out of performing.

So on March 27th, I was on a stage in the Atrium, in front of my fellow classmates and friends, strutting my Indian stuff.

And here's the video for you to enjoy.

Just don't laugh too hard at my white dancing, okay?




No comments:

Post a Comment