10/14/12

Homecoming

The band is basically over. And it's October 14th. We only have 3 more performances left in the season: a game, a concert, and a bowl game. How crazy is that?

Yesterday was Homecoming. And that means a very long day for the colorguard.

I was up at 7 AM, after only sleeping 5-6 hours, to get ready for the Homecoming parade. I realized I had left my uniform top in the guard room, so when I picked up my carpool, we had to make a stop at the stadium. But alas, the door to the guard room was locked! And there was no one there with a key!! So the few guardlings that were there got a little dramatic. Fun dramatic, not crying dramatic. I think the band thought we were crazy. I think they usually do. But at last, Brother Young came and saved the day and I was able to get my top and head to the start of the parade.

At the start of the parade route, the colorguard practiced by the BYU Rugby team. Yes, the lesser known, arguably more attractive counterparts of the BYU Football team. They were super funny and took pictures with us.



Then Cecil O. Samuelson, President of BYU, came over and talked to the guard and we got a picture with him and the BYU Rugby team.



Then the parade commenced. I felt that the parade was way easier this year. I didn't feel that tired. Must be cause I'm SOOO buff. ;)

After we finished the parade, we had to book it back to the stadium to eat and get ready for the game. It was our favorite: Black Jack Pizza (read with a bit of sarcasm). We scarfed it down, changed into our short-sleeved uniforms (cause it was sunny--yay!) and headed to Helaman Fields for practice.

Fast forward the end of Pre-game. As we waited for the BYU players to come out, the Oregon State kickers came onto the field to practice. I didn't pay them much heed until SWOOSH! a football whizzed past my face. Oh so scary!! For the next three minutes I stood in fear, suspiciously eyeing the OSU kickers. But the ball never got close to me again, though it did hit a cougarette. (hehe)

Halftime went well. The audience loved the Bond show. Sweat dripped down my face in buckets afterwards. But it was worth it. Our show was pretty awesome.


But the most interesting part of my day was definitely getting hit on by a total creeper. I noticed him during the first half of the game. Most people in front of us look back, mostly to see a replay on the jumbotron. But this guy... he was looking back at me. And staring. Obviously, I was uncomfortable. So I pretended he didn't exist. But in the third quarter, he literally shouted at me to get my attention.

"Hey, do you know that you have beautiful hair?"

Yes, I've been told that a time or two. 

I thanked him and tried to end the conversation, but, alas, he would not have it.

"What's your name?"

"Sarah."

"Where are you from Sarah?"

"Arizona."

"Where in Arizona?"

"Mesa."

"Really? There's a lot of Mesa kids here at BYU."

Wouldn't I know it. Luckily, at this moment, the conversation ended and he turned around to watch the game, as the colorguard snarkily remarked, "Hey Sarah, did you know that you have beautiful hair?"

Real funny, girls. Real funny.

Later on, both Mom and Jiff would point out that I'd probably just given my name to a major creeper and would have a stalker within the week. Crud. 





No comments:

Post a Comment