1/3/13

Adventure 3: Ramen and Quirky Japanese Toys

So the original plan for the day was to have a photoshoot with Taylor. But our friend Maggie is home from Canada and is heading back on Friday so we decided to go to lunch.

Destination: Ramen Republic

It was a Japanese twist on an old tradition. Junior year of high school, I introduced my friends to pho, a Vietnamese soup that is downright delicious. So for the next few years, we would have our catch-ups while chowing down on some pho.

And we were still eating soup, just with a different kind of noodle. And like 8 different choices of broth. I chose the Tonkontsu broth, which is pork-flavored. It was alright, I would choose something different next time. But the toppings (spinach, green onions, carrots, and more) were awesome. Also, Ramen Republic has a wide variety of drinks with boba. And I have been craving boba. And although the passionfruit slush wasn't the best, the boba were very good, lightyears better than the boba at the tiny Vietnamese place in San Diego.

And it was good to catch up with Anna and Maggie. She's currently going to school at McGill University in Montreal. Yeah, she's so cool, the States can't handle her so she's chillin' with the cool kids in Canada. It was fun listening to her stories of frigid winters and awesome concerts.

After we were comfortably stuffed, we headed to Downtown Mesa to check out a toy store Maggie was interested in. It's called Lulubell's Toy Bodega. And I have no idea what bodega even means but from my experience at Lulubell's I would imagine it to mean a gateway to a quirky, original world. Because that's what Lulubell's was. To understand the craziness, check out their website. And although it wouldn't be a place where I'd spend my lunch money, it was a pretty cool experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment