1/5/13

Adventure 4: Arizona Science Center

Sometimes I wish that I loved science. Since I lived with two science-oriented people my sophomore year of college, I listened to a lot of science talk. And it was cute listening to Jiff go on and on about the bones in the body or how antibodies work. She was just so excited. And I felt a little guilty that I just couldn't relate to what she was saying, since avoiding my science GEs is one of my greatest talents.

So I decided to devote one adventure to the pursuit of science enlightenment. And luckily for me, the Arizona Science Center has an Adults' Night Out event on first Fridays so admission was free! It was a must-do adventure.

Thanks to the marvelous Taylor Hatch, a crew of knowledge seeking YSAs were gathered. Half the crew drove, but five of us took a more adventurous form of travel-- the lightrail.

After 30+ minutes on the light rail getting to know my fellow compadres, we arrived in Downtown Phoenix. We made our way down Washington where we encountered this um interesting sculpture.


I saw the stinger from 100 yards away and thought, "Oh gracious, a scorpion sculpture!" I despise scorpions with a passion. To this day, the sight of one of those creepy buggers triggers girlish screams and a leap to the nearest chair, table, or countertop. But this was just a sculpture of a scorpion. And I'm on an adventure. This could be a step to overcoming my unending hate of scorpions. So I charged Taylor to take a picture of me with this sculpture. But as we got closer to the thing, the more disturbing the sculpture got. First off, this crazy scorpion had a top hat. And if that wasn't weird enough, the scorpion was covered with little people, including one that the scorpion was about to devour. You see, scorpions are not good news.

But I digress. We made it to the Science Center and explored the wonderful world of science. The first stop was the brain room where I encountered this.


The object of the game: Using your Alpha and Theta brain waves, roll the ball to your opponent's side of the table.

That's right. Brain waves. 

That's why your have to wear those funny hats. The more relaxed you are, the quicker the ball will roll.

I played the game and lost in about 45 seconds. But then again, Taylor has some crazy mind. Her Alpha and Theta waves were almost flatlined. Which is fascinating, but I guess you'd have to play the game or be a neuroscience major to appreciate it. 

One of the greatest things about this trip to the Science Center is reliving all the exhibits and things I loved as a little kid. Like the giant nose that sneezes out balls and scares the crap out of any unsuspecting child (or adult). Or the spinning thing that makes you really dizzy while teaching you about physics. SOOOO MUCH FUN!!!!



But I was MOST excited about this:


The dancing dust bunnies. I could watch that thing all day. And the songs? Pump It Up and The Flight of the Bumblebees are forever written into my hearts thanks to those groovy dust bunnies.


It's like the coolest thing ever, right?

Okay, I might just be a nerd. 

Besides some nostalgia, I took time to experience some new features to the Arizona Science Center, specifically the Forces of Nature. In 5 minutes, I experienced a fire, an earthquake, a hurricane, and a haboob. And got a good deal wet. 

Overall, my adventure to the Science Center was a blast and (I hope!) a little educational. And if you're over 18, you should definitely go to the next Adults' Night Out in February!! Check it out here.

No comments:

Post a Comment